A People's History of the United States

A People's History of the United States

eBook - 2013
Average Rating:
Rate this:
24
The Abridged Teaching Edition of A People's History of the United States has made Howard Zinn's original text available specifically for classroom use. With exercises and teaching materials to accompany each chapter, this edition spans American Beginnings, Reconstruction, the Civil War and through to the present, with new chapters on the Clinton Presidency, the 2000 elections, and the "War on Terrorism."
Publisher: [United States] : eBookIt.com, 2013.
ISBN: 9781456610814
1456610813
Branch Call Number: eBook hoopla
Characteristics: 1 online resource
text file,rda
Additional Contributors: hoopla digital

Opinion

From the critics


Community Activity

Comment

Add a Comment
p
pfsheckarski
Apr 16, 2019

Essential.

k
ksolnit
Mar 19, 2019

If you want to read a version of American history from a socialist point of view, where there were NO good presidents, Congresses, or Supreme Courts, where every decision was made in the interests of Big Business at the expense of the poor, exploited, and discriminated-against, then this is for you. This is history viewed through a very distorted lens.

4
4536o
Mar 11, 2019

History, it is said, is written by the victors. In the case of the U.S., that would be the elites. Zinn offers a stunning alternative, a history written from the perspective of the average citizen. If you want to be shocked out of believing the hoary public myths grounding the founding stories of our country, this is the book for you.

a
AaronAardvark1940
Nov 26, 2018

When I returned to college, the only non-major class required for graduation was a semester of American history. Halfway through the turgid assigned text, I decided that the book told me very little that my high school history hadn’t taught, or that I hadn’t already learned simply by living in this country. So, I took the test without further reading, and passed easily. If only Zinn’s book had been the required text, I would have been so much more challenged and better educated! Twiggzette doesn’t get it; exposure to facts isn’t revisionism. Like many history books, the one given to me was written for and about the 5% winners. The other 95% of us need Zinn’s book to fully understand what the American Republic is, and to comprehend the structure of our nominally representative government. SFDolceVita should realize that he is a member of the 95%. And 4thPoliticalTheory’s claim that “The fundamental flaw to this book is the same you'll find everywhere in the 'white people are the most evil race in history' argument” is not found in Zinn’s book. The suggestion that European culture is best because it is dominant is self-congratulatory nonsense. History is so much more complicated than knowing names, dates, places…
Read this book to expand your horizons and to flesh out your view of America.

a
ABou1391
Nov 10, 2018

A must read for anyone interested in the actual history of America

s
SFDolceVita
Oct 30, 2018

A better title would have been "A Losers' History of the United States".

CMLibrary_akeller Mar 24, 2018

It was interesting to read about the side of American history we don't usually hear about. Well worth the read.

c
cardigramma
Mar 28, 2017

Love this book so much I am going to buy my own copy. Gives a totally different perspective on U.S. history.

cals_joe Mar 25, 2017

Probably did as much to inform my view of the world as anything I've ever read.

k
kwiyjibo
Nov 14, 2016

@ Twiggzette - You won't tell us what to read, but you will tell us what NOT to read.

View All Comments

Age

Add Age Suitability

There are no ages for this title yet.

Summary

Add a Summary

There are no summaries for this title yet.

Notices

Add Notices

There are no notices for this title yet.

Quotes

Add a Quote

There are no quotes for this title yet.

Explore Further

Recommendations

Subject Headings

  Loading...

Find it at SMPL

  Loading...
[]
[]
To Top